This post is a continuation of my Quick Start Guide to Twitter. If you haven’t read that post first, I advise you to do so now by clicking HERE.
How to Gain Followers on Twitter: The RIGHT Way
So I’m going to assume that you have read my Quick Start Guide to Twitter and have currently put all things in to play. Awesome! So let’s recap what you’ve accomplished:
- Figured out WHY you’re on Twitter by determining your Target Audience
- You have killed the awful egg, and prettied up your profile with a great bio and cover image
- You have created a STRONG bio explaining who you are, why you’re on Twitter, and who you’re trying to reach
- You have created tweets from either original work or others’ work so that you do not have an empty profile.
- You have become active in Tweet Chats, and made an effort to just BE SOCIAL on Social Media.
SWEET! So how’s your follower count looking? Has it risen? No?? Still zero or really low? What are we going to do? Does my advice not work? How are we going to gain followers?
Calm Down, Don’t Stress, Quit Worrying
When I first started out on Twitter, I was just like you! I felt like I was doing all the steps right, but still didn’t see any results.
So what was the problem? Why didn’t my Twitter followers go up at first?
To answer that question, I’m going to use something I learned from Ahna Hendrix (@AhnaHendrix):
BE PATIENT! Social Media Takes Time! (Click to read the article)
Twitter is work. If you expect to grow your following at the rate of a celebrity, I hate to break it to you, but you’ll be disappointed.
It isn’t going to happen. Twitter takes time to build so….
The key to gaining Twitter followers the right way, is to BE CONSISTENT! Don’t be like I was when I tried to build a business the first time! Don’t give up when you feel like no one cares or is listening to what you have to say! Keep going, as Dave Shrein (@DaveShrein) says, KEEP DREAMING!!
Keep building on the basics. Keep going in to Tweet chats and connecting with new people. Keep tweeting out good content that your target audience needs. Keep BEING SOCIAL! The more consistent you are, the greater your reward will be on Twitter.
It’s easy to say, “AHH This doesn’t work, I’m THROUGH,” but be patient. It takes a consistent effort to get your name out there!
- Don’t be afraid to @mention the leaders in your industry. Remember they are being social too, and most of the time will LOVE to talk to you!
- If you’re having trouble finding Tweet Chats for your target audience, try visiting places like Twubs.com or Tweetchat.com. Even better you could create your own. I can help with that. 😉 Contact me.
- To put yourself on the radar of someone on Twitter, follow them and then favorite or retweet a few of their tweets. This usually gets a followback.