I get it! Before you can sell, you need an audience. In fact you need one like yesterday! The problem is, building an audience isn’t always easy. It takes work, lessons learned, and patience. However, I want to provide you some quick ways to help spark building an audience. I’m going to be focusing on three social platforms to make this happen: Twitter, Periscope, and Snapchat. So let’s go in order of how I build MY audience, and really how anyone can build an audience.
If you are looking to build an audience on Twitter, the best way to do so, is by TWITTER CHATS! When I first decided to take Twitter seriously back in April of 2015, I had around 654 followers, most of those were people I had went to highschool with. I knew Twitter chats had HUGE potential to help grow an audience, but I never attempted one. Once I changed that, and began twitter chatting religiously, as well as tweeting out great content, I’m now proud to say that after 9 months I have over 2000 followers and growing. I owe this all to Twitter chats, great content, and networking.
Here are some great Twitter chats to try:
- #SBizHour: Hosted by Brian Fanzo (@iSocialFanz) and Rachel Miller (@Rachelloumiller) every Monday at 4PM EST
- #InfluencerChat: Hosted by Ann Tran (@anntran_), Rebekah Radice (@RebekahRadice), and Diana Adams (@adamsconsulting) every Tuesday at 8PM EST
- #GetRealChat: Hosted by Pam Moore (@PamMktgNut) every Tuesday at 9PM EST
- #BufferChat: Hosted by @buffer every Wednesday at 12PM EST
There really are only two things that I can attribute to the audience that I have built. One is Twitter as discussed earlier, and the other no doubt would be Periscope. I know, I know. Live video can be scary, but if you can overcome that fear, the results could be life-changing! It sure was for me.
When I jumped on Periscope in May of 2015, only one month after taking Twitter seriously, it nearly tripled my audience. I began to broadcast THREE times a day (don’t advise, it led me to burnout) great business tips, and even was able to land my first TWO paying clients from there! There’s just something about being able to look into the eyes of the person communicating with you that changes the way you build trust and make buying decisions.
Here’s some Periscope tips:
- Because Periscope is a mobile platform, remember to be respectful of others’ time. Keep your scope shorter.
- TITLES are important! Create a compelling title using emojis and caps to draw attention.
- Don’t be afraid to ask your audience to share your broadcast.
- Always have a Call to Action. No need for pointless scopes.
- Be engaging in your scopes, reply to those commenting. LEARN THEIR NAMES! THAT’s how you build an audience.
Snapchat is the new kid on the block, but as most of you know my FAVORITE social platform of 2016! Why? The engagement. When I snap, with a Call to Action of “Hey, snap me back.” It’s almost guaranteed that a few folks will take the time to snap back!
The biggest key to snapchat is use your existing platforms to build your audience there. Use Twitter or other social media platforms, to share your snapcode. Put your username or code on everything!
Here are some Snapchat tips:
- Again, this is a mobile platform, so be respectful of people’s time.
- Make your stories fun and creative
- Offer your audience discounts and special offers through snapchat
- Collaborate with other snapchat users to expand your reach and build your audience
- Reply to ALL snaps personally. Make people feel important and special.
I hope this short guide helps you build your audience. Remember however that patience and consistency are KEY to building an audience. You won’t just wake up with an audience, it takes days, months, maybe even YEARS of hard work and consistency!
YOU ROCK! KEEP ROCKING IT IN 2016!